Welcome to Vintage Books, an independent family owned bookstore and mail order business. We have been serving book-lovers and auto enthusiasts for 37 years. We’ve always put our priority where our hearts are: the best book selection we can offer and the most knowledgeable, dedicated staff. Our staff are all passionate readers-- the diversity of our preferences can be seen on our “staff choices” shelves. We work hard to make your book buying experience easy, and treat your books with the care we would treat our own. If you were to visit our physical store, you’d find us to be pretty low key. Plain pine bookcases, old rugs, old chairs and a small couch in the children’s area. Blank vertical surfaces are covered with old ads, sayings, booklists and displayed books. We are unable to list our extensive selection of used paperbacks, some of the automotive items and hardbacks on-line, because our inventory changes daily. We will be happy to check our shelves if you don’t see what you seek. We hope you will bookmark our site, and come back often. Cordially Becky Milner Owner Vintage Books
Do you want to see what the store looks like? You can visit our Photos page here.
A note from your local Independent bookseller:
We live in interesting times.
Our little corner of the world (that is, publishing and bookselling and reading in general) is changing so fast that we all are challenged to keep up. And because so many of you have asked us how these changes are affecting our business, we are sharing this.
How are we doing? First, to all of you who have asked and to all of you who are afraid to ask, we say “Thank you.” It’s because of your concern and support that we’re still here.
The truth is that it’s been a bumpy year. The recession has hit all of us hard and recently, many good friends have fallen by the wayside (fellow indie bookstores, publishers’ sales reps, and others). We’ve even lost a few old competitors (some of the biggest box stores have closed).
Then there is the rise of the e-reader that we’re learning to contend with. In the past few years, millions of people have either bought or received an e-reader as a gift and these e-readers have taken a toll on the sale of print books everywhere.
Can we weather this change? Yes, with your help.
1. We are selling e-books. You can purchase e-books from us for virtually every e-reader except the Kindle, which remains a proprietary product. Our prices for e-books are competitive with the big box stores and online retailers. Check http://www.Vintage-Books.net for weekly and monthly specials.
2. http://www.Vintage-Books.com Used books, auto manuals, New books, eBooks Using our websites you can buy books from us 24/7, no matter where you are. You can arrange to pick your books up at the store (no shipping charge for in store pickup; we’re always glad to see you) or you can have them shipped to wherever you want. You will be able to shop for books from our inventory or special order, easily and at your convenience.
3. We support community programs on a year round basis. With your help, we donate to schools, child care centers, programs for seniors and troubled youth, service members overseas and other programs. Our big project is always our Holiday season Book Angels drive, which gives books to every child in a local school and/or literacy project, You are an essential part of our literacy efforts.
4. We are passionate and knowledgeable about what we sell. We work hard to be the very best at helping you to find just the right books for you or as gifts.
5. We all live here. That might seem obvious, but think about it: independent bookstores return 40% more money to their local communities than the chains, and 99% more money to their local economy than national online competitors.
6. We are continually refining our inventory mix (new and used, and sidelines) to be a more accurate reflection of what you, our customers, want.
7. The bonus card! Whenever you purchase a new book from us, you get that notation on your frequent buyer card that counts toward a free book after you purchase twelve.
This bookstore is a partnership.
1. If you read e-books, get as many of them as you can from us
2. Know any former customers of stores that have closed? Send them our way!
3. Remember that a locally owned business is a valuable asset to a thriving community. Think locally, and shop locally whenever you can.
4. When you can, pay for your purchases with cash or use a debit card rather than a credit card. Bank fees are an increasingly large part of every retailer’s overhead.
5. Spread the word! Forward our Facebook messages, tweets and blog to your friends who read. If you have media connections, please talk us up. If you haven’t visited our sites before, please visit:
Our news is printed here, first!
And please check out www.NWBookLovers.org. Discover what’s going on in the greater Northwest Independent Bookselling community, discover new authors and exciting reads!
6. Buy VINTAGE BOOKS gift cards for friends and family, whether they have been here or not. Our gift cards also make great gifts for teachers and service providers.
7. Encourage your book club, your children’s schools, and any other group that reads, to support your local bookshop. If your group or school can combine to purchase ten copies of one new book title in a single transaction, we’ll give you a 10% discount. Twenty copies earn 20% discount.
8. Talk with us! Your opinion matters. Nobody responds as quickly as we can to an actual customer whose opinions and preferences are important to us.
Just like you, we are in this for the long haul. For nearly thirty seven years, we’ve been an active part of this community. With your support, we plan to be here for many years to come.
We firmly believe that neighborhood stores contribute to the quality of life in these transitional times. We hope that you agree.
Basic format courtesy of Broadway Books, Portland, OR
Vintage Books is located in the Heights Shopping Center in Vancouver, just across the Columbia River from Portland, Oregon. From I-5, take the Mill Plain exit and go east (right) 2.2 miles. From I205, take Mill Plain west-bound and drive roughly 2.5 miles, The shopping center is on the southwest corner of the Mill Plain and Andresen intersection.
Directions from Google Maps: http://tinyurl.com/VintageB
Monday thru Friday 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Saturday 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Sunday 11:00 to 5:00 p.m.